Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Investigator

Ladies and Gentlemen,

As investigator, reading Esperanza Rising, your job is to ask and answer questions. You will need to have at least one comment approved for this post in which you ask at least three great, higher-level questions. For each question you ask, you need to provide your own answer/opinion. The answer needs to include evidence from the text to support your opinion. If the answer to your question is stated directly in the text, your question is too easy, and so it will not be posted. Each question is really more like a paragraph with your explanation of the answer you think is correct. That means that this post requires three big, fat, juicy paragraphs! Plus, you need to complete the second part of the directions.

You will also need to answer one question each from at least three different people. Your answers should definitely use evidence from the text. Make sure to let the group know where your evidence comes from by writing the page and paragraph number. Your responses require multiple sentences. Each response will be a separate comment - one big, fat, juicy paragraph for each answer!

Some of you have asked for some help with analysis and synthesis level questions. Here is a short list to get you started...

* What change would you make to solve _____?
* How would you improve _______?
* What might happen if _____?
* Can you elaborate on the reason for _____?
* Can you propose an alternative idea for _____?
* Can you invent _____?
* How would you adapt_____ to create a different _____?
* How would you change or modify the plot?
* Suppose you could _____. What would you do?
* How would you test _____?
* What do you predict will happen if _____?
* Why do you think _____?
* What are the features of _____?
* How is ____ related to _____?
* What is the character's motive for _____?
* What inference can you make from _____?
* What evidence can you find for _____?
* What is the relationship between _____ and _____?
* What ideas might justify the opinion that _____?

Thanks,
Mr. Moore

18 comments:

Jay said...

Dear Mr. Moore,



My question is, do you ever talk and plan on things or special occasions that are a lot of time away? If yes, what is the thing you talk and plan about? I had this question while I read on page 7, when it said, 'When they were all together, they talked about one thing: their quinceaneras, the presentation parties they would have when they turned thirteen. They still had two more years to wait,but so much to discuss.' My answer is yes, I do plan and talk about things that are a long time away. The thing I talk about is my birthday. The things I plan and talk about my birthday is usually who is going to come to my birthday, when I will have my birthday party and what we are going to do, and what I want to get for my birthday. I usually have my birthday before or on my real birthday. On my birthday, I usually play outside, playing soccer, football, basketball. I also play games like tag, and lava monster, which me and a few friends made up. On my birthday, I usually like to get video games, soccer or footballs. I usually invite my closest friends, but I have never invited a school friend to my party, because even if they are my best friends, it sort of feels awkward having school kids over. This is the special occasion I talk and discuss and plan about even though it is very far away. (continued)

Jay said...

( continued) My second question in Esperanza Rising is, if Papa always comes home before sundown, why was he not coming? What happened? I had this question while I read page 9, when it said, 'And he was always home before sundown, dusty from the mesquite grasslands and stamping his feet on the patio to get rid of the crusty dirt on his boots.' My answer is, I think Papa was not coming because there were bandits who attacked him and the vaqueros. I think bandits attacked Papa and the vaqueros because like the book says in pages eleven and twelve, there are bandits that the neighbours warned Papa about, and in page twelve, mother said to Esperanza, "Papa is sympathetic and has given land to many of his workers," and Esperanza asked, "But do the bandits know that?" I do not think that the bandits know that Papa is sympathetic. This is my evidence that bandits attacked Papa and vaqueros. (continued)

Cheyenne said...

Dear Mr. Moore,

A question I had in Esperansa Rising I wonder if you get your thumb poked by a thorn and Esperansa thinks "bad luck"is that just an another saying? My idea for the question is there are many saying like black cat is bad luck but it never happens. Maybe Esperansa and Esperansa's family really belive this saying and it has been pass on through Esperansa's family for years and years. Maybe the bad luck really happens to any one who pokes there finger by a thorn. I had the question on page eight paragraph three.

Another question I had is why is Tio Luis keep showing up when something bad keeps happening to Esperansa's family? In the book it said Esperansa saw saw her uncles approaching on horse? My idea of my of that question is that Tio Luis has something to be doing with everything that's happen because when the fire happen he showed up after. Once before Esperansa's papa died Tio Luis showed up. I had this question on page 44 paragraph two.

The last question had is I wonder what the people are going think of Tio Luis when they find out that Esperansa and Ramona went to California? In the book it said "Luis bragged to everyone about the engagement" said Hortensia. I think the idea of my question is that the people will never trust Tio Luis again because of that lie. I had that question on page 59 paragraph three.

From,

Cheyenne

Jay said...

( continued) My last question in Esperanza Rising is, can you actually hear the earth breath? If not, what did she feel? I had this question on page three, when it said, 'She pressed closer to the ground, until her body was breathing with the earth's.' I do not think you can actually hear the earth breath, and that Esperanza felt something else. I think it is one of those things where you think you know what the other people are talking about, but you actually don't. Like my family and/or friends might ask, "Do you see that bear" I would say, "Yeah!" When I do not actually see. But fortunately, almost every time after that, I see the thing my family and friends are talking about. These are my three questions and answers and/or opinions.



From,

Jay

Alexa said...

Dear Mr.Moore, These are some questions I am wondering. I wonder why Esperanza and her dad go pick stuff in there garden for there harvest if they have servants to do it for them. I wonder this because in the book it said Esperanza and her dad went to go pick out fruits and other stuff for their harvest. But I wonder why they have to go pick it if they have servants maids and other people to do the job for them(pg.9) I also wonder will it fell like to have servants? I also have read that Esperanza has servant's and house cleaning ladies so I wonder what it feels like to live like that. I think Esperanza got used to having servants but for me it will probably be weird (pg 15). Another question I had was that when papa was killed tio Luis showed up when it happen. I am begging to think that maybe tio Luis had something to do with papa being killed. I also wonder what Esperanza felt when her dad told her to be quiet and listen to the earth's heart beating? Her dad said '' If you are quite enough you can hear the earth's heart beating.'' It was kinda strange (pg.1). My last question for now would be if Miguel and Esperanza go out more in to the book. I got this from page 18 when it said that ''when Esperanza was little she used to like Miguel but her mother told her it could never happen since he was a servant.''

By, Alexa

Cheyenne said...

Dear Jay,

I think the answer to your question, that can Esperansa feel the earth and if she can not why she say she felt it is that I think you can actually feel the earth but not the earth's heart. I think this because maybe Esperansa hears people walking along the earth but they are close to her and she can just feel there footsteps. Or like we learn in Mr. Moore 's class that tectonics plates could be moving under Esperansa.

From,

Cheyenne

Cheyenne said...

Dear Alexa,

I think the reason why I think that Esperansa and Esperansa's papa did not have their servants harvest their plants is maybe Esperansa and Esperansa's papa enjoy doing this. Why I think this is on page eight paragraph four it said,"Papa had promise her to meet in the garden and he never disappointed her." That information tells me that Esperansa and Esperansa's papa always been doing this and love to do this.

From,

Cheyenne

Cheyenne said...

Dear Jay,

I think the answer to your question, that can Esperansa feel the earth and if she can not why she say she felt it is that I think you can actually feel the earth but not the earth's heart. I think this because maybe Esperansa hears people walking along the earth but they are close to her and she can just feel there footsteps. Or like we learn in Mr. Moore 's class that tectonics plates could be moving under Esperansa.

From,

Cheyenne

Alexa said...

Dear Cheyenne,

I think tio Luis has something to do with some of the things that are happening. But I have to disagree with you that has something to do with everything that is happening. I do that think that he had to do something what the house burning but not papa's death.I think this because on page 31 and 32 it said,''Fine if you don't want to come with me,you can live with your servants little house. Or if that doesn't catch on fire either.'' Sounded kinda suspicious.


Sincerely,

Alexa

xavier said...

Dear Mr. Moore,



What is the relationship between Miguel and Esperanza? I think that Miguel just wants to be friends with Esperanza when she wants to be Miguel's girlfriend. I got this from page 18 before paragraph one.

What do you predict will happen if Miguel and Esperanza get married? I think that if Miguel and Esperanza get married they will live at Mama and Papa's ranch until Mama and Papa die and then Esperanza and Miguel take over as the owners. I got this from page eight."Esperanza preferred to think, though, that she and her someday-husband would live with mama and papa forever. Because she couldn't imagine living anywhere other than El Rancho de las Rosas. Or with any fewer servants."

What might happen if Papa gets captured by the bandits? What makes you think this. I think that if Papa gets captured by the bandits he should not tell them that he is rich because then he would get killed.

I wonder why Esperanza and her mother become poor what do you guys think? I think that the reason that Esperanza and her mother become poor is because their money gets taken away or because they felt bad for the poor so they helped out by giving not taking unlike the bandits in Mexico. Via the back cover "Riches to rags."





Sincerely,

Xavier

Jay said...

Dear Cheyenne,



This is my answer to your question. You asked, "Why does Tio Luis keep showing up when something bad keeps happening to Esperansa's family?" My answer is, I think that Tio Luis kept showing up when something bad happened because Tio Luis was part of bad things that happened. I think this because Tio Luis is the "evil" person in the story and, it says here on page 30, paragraph two, "You will also receive the yearly income from the grapes." So, when Tio Luis came after the fire, happened, I think Tio Luis set fire to burn the grapes so that Ramona and Esperanza would not get the yearly income. I think he acted like he did not do it and he had actually come to act like he was being kind and was trying to comfort Ramona and Esperanza. This is my answer to your question,"Why does Tio Luis keep showing up when something bad keeps happening to Esperansa's family?"


From,
Jay

Jay said...

Dear Alexa,





This my answer to your question. You asked, I wonder why Esperanza and her dad go pick stuff in there garden for there harvest if they have servants to do it for them. My answer is, I think that Esperanza and Papa went to pick things in their garden for their harvest when they have servants to do it for them because like it says on page twelve, paragraph one, "Papa is sympathetic and has given land to many of his workers," so, Papa and Esperanza pick things in their garden for their harvest when they have servants to do it for them because Papa is sympathetic. This is why I think that Esperanza and Papa went to pick things in their garden for their harvest when they have servants to do it for them.



From,

Jay

Alexa said...

Dear Cheyenne,

I think tio Luis has something to do with some of the things that are happening. But I have to disagree with you that has something to do with everything that is happening. I do that think that he had to do something what the house burning but not papa's death.I think this because on page it said,''Fine if you don't want to come with me,you can live with your servants little house. Or if that doesn't catch on fire either.'' Sounded kinda suspicious. So that's what I think about your questions.


Sincerely,

Alexa

Alexa said...

Dear Jay,


I was reading your questions and I had a opinion on one of your questions. On the part that you said why were Esperanza and her friends thinking about there quinceaneras so early. I think that they were planing it because they were excited to own there fathers ranches. I think this because on page ''7'' in the book it says, '' After they were done with the party they would be old enough to get married and own there fathers ranch.'' Also they were excited about dressing up and having everybody there who loves them. They were to excited so they had to talk about it. Also I think that was a big deal for every girl back then.


Sincerely,

Alexa

Jay said...

Dear Xavier,


You asked the question, What is the relationship between Miguel and Esperanza? I think the relationship between Miguel and Esperanza is, Miguel likes Esperanza because Esperanza said to Miguel long ago in Mexico that there is a river between her and Miguel. But now that Esperanza is a peasant, Miguel sees that there is no river between them any more. I think that Miguel likes Esperanza because he is always there when Esperanza is sad or when she is alone, like it says on page 93, paragraph one, "Anza are you alright?" It also says on page 92 paragraph four, "She held her pounding chest and looked up at Miguel." So, Miguel is always appearing out of no where and comforting her. I think that Esperanza likes Miguel because it says in page 220, paragraph one, "She looked at the dough she was holding and threw it at the wall." I thought that this sentence was evidence that Esperanza likes Miguel because why would she have thrown the dough at the wall after Miguel told that he was fired and had to dig ditches if she had not cared for Miguel? This is my answer to your question, What is the relationship between Miguel and Esperanza?



From,
Jay

Alexa said...

Dear Xavier,



I was thinking about your questions and I had a opinion on what you thought about Esperanza and Miguel. I think that Miguel likes Esperanza like a girlfriend. I don't think that he really tried to get close when Esperanza was rich because, Esperanza was to busy getting spoiled so Miguel didn't have a chance. But now that he has a chance he is going for it. I think this because in the book when Esperanza is sad Miguel tries to comfort her and help her out. But Esperanza is to busy to think about boys. I think that Esperanza and Miguel will be something together.


Sincerely,

Alexa

Cheyenne said...

Dear Xavier,

I think what is happening in Miguel and Esperansa's relationship is that Esperansa and Miguel both love each other. Why I think this is because on page 239 and paragraph two in Esperansa Rising it said,"No I brought you back something better. Then he help the last passenger from the bus,a small, older woman trying to get down the steep steps." Also Miguel is always making Esperansa laugh and help Esperansa get back on her feet. Esperansa have also help Miguel- in the book on page 222 and paragraph four it said,"You are still a second class citizen because you act like one, you let them take advantage of you like that."

From,

Cheyenne

Jay said...

Dear Xavier,


You asked the question, What is the relationship between Miguel and Esperanza? I think the relationship between Miguel and Esperanza is, Miguel likes Esperanza because Esperanza said to Miguel long ago in Mexico that there is a river between her and Miguel. But now that Esperanza is a peasant, Miguel sees that there is no river between them any more. I think that Miguel likes Esperanza because he is always there when Esperanza is sad or when she is alone, like it says on page 93, paragraph one, "Anza are you alright?" It also says on page 92 paragraph four, "She held her pounding chest and looked up at Miguel." So, Miguel is always appearing out of no where and comforting her. I think that Esperanza likes Miguel because it says in page 220, paragraph one, "She looked at the dough she was holding and threw it at the wall." I thought that this sentence was evidence that Esperanza likes Miguel because why would she have thrown the dough at the wall after Miguel told that he was fired and had to dig ditches if she had not cared for Miguel? This is my answer to your question, What is the relationship between Miguel and Esperanza?



From,

Jay