Ladies and Gentlemen,
As the Correspondent, your job is to write a letter or an email. Your letter can be to the author (we'll actually send them or email them if possible) or you can pretend that you are a character in the book writing to another character in the book. If you have a better idea, I'd love to hear about it. Make sure to talk to me so that I can approve the idea and offer it to the rest of the group as an option. If you can't find an email or snail mail address for the author, we can try the publishing company.
In any case, your letter needs to demonstrate some advanced thinking. If you choose to write the author, choose one interesting or challenging excerpt from your book. Describe your thinking, questions, and inferences. Then ask the author to enlighten us! (Not sure what enlighten means? Look it up!) If you choose to write to a character, share your predictions and give the character advice about what to do next.
Please write your letter in a document and save it before you post it to the blog so that we can have a nice printed copy to send in the "snail mail" if necessary.
10 Billion Bonus Points will be awarded for any actual comments or responses you generate from students outside of East's fifth grade, and Double Bonus Points will be awarded if you can convince an author to visit and post on our blog! (The bonus points are fake - but wouldn't it be great if the real author commented on our page?) Consider using LOCAL 5 as one way to garner comments from outside of our 5th grade.
You only need one approved comment to this post by the end of the literature circle.
Here are some helpful links for Esperanza Rising:
http://www.pammunozryan.com/esper.html
http://www.pammunozryan.com/contact.html
Here are some helpful links for Esperanza Rising:
http://www.pammunozryan.com/esper.html
http://www.pammunozryan.com/contact.html
Thanks!
Mr. Moore
7 comments:
Dear class,
This is the e-mail and the response I sent and got back from the author of Esperanza Rising.
Dear Mrs. Pam M. Ryan,
This is a fifth grader from Littleton Public Schools. I go to East Elementary and my reading teacher, Mr. Moore would like you to come and visit our blog or possibly our school. I would love it if you the author of Esperanza Rising to come and listen to us read. I do have some questions to ask so here I go.
On one of the days that I was reading , I wondered why you talk so much about quinceaneras? Why is that anyways? How did you do in fifth grade? What school did you to? How long have you been speaking Spanish and how did you get the idea for writing Esperanza Rising. Well ma'am I would love to hear your answers but this might not even be read and if it is I would be honored if this gets read even. Well I got to dash. Hope to hear from you soon. But it really would be cool to have you come visit my school. I have very high hopes.
Your fan and reader,
Xavier age 10
And now time for the letter back from Pam M. Ryan.
PMunozRyan@aol.com to me
Dear Xavier,
Thank you for your kind email. I'm glad you enjoyed my book Esperanza Rising. To answer a question: I have been speaking Spanish since I was a young girl. My grandmother only spoke Spanish to me. You'll find answers to many of your other questions in the author's note in the book, or on my web site. I hope you find it helpful.
Happy reading,
Pam Muñoz Ryan
NOVELS:
The Dreamer NEW!
Paint the Wind
Becoming Naomi León
Esperanza Rising
Riding Freedom
Well class of Gr 2010 this has been the greatest moment of my life. Biggest hopes from me,
Xavier
(Continued) I have a few connections and a few differences with Esperanza. One connection I have with Esperanza is, we both have mothers that care about us. Another connection I have with Esperanza is that Esperanza has many friends and family to help her and her mother, so do I. But one of the few differences I have with Esperanza is, Esperanza has not learned a few things that seems so easy to us. It says in page 116 of your book, paragraph two, "In her entire life, Esperanza had never held a broom in her hand." This is one of the things that seems so easy and normal to us, but Esperanza cannot do. When I read that Esperanza could not sweep with a broom, I thought whoa! Esperanza does not know how to use a broom? I had thought that you would at least know the motions, and like the book says on page 116, paragraph two, "But she had seen Hortensia sweep and tried to visualize the memory," I thought that if Esperanza had seen Hortensia sweep, she would at least know the basics. Like when I first used the broom, I could at least create a pile with all the dust and things with a broom. But Esperanza could not even make a pile! But I now understand that if I were Esperanza, and I were like a king, and had servants, I understand why Esperanza could not sweep. It is because she had servants, and she probably did not even have chores, so Esperanza did not even need to try. Do you have any connections or differences with Esperanza?
I also have a few questions for you. One question I have for you is, how did you come up with the idea "riches to rags," instead of rags to riches? I think that you did that to make your story a bit different than other stories. I would love to do that to. I think that being different is more exciting than making stories same as every other story. Being different is not to bad. What do you think? Also, another question is, do you have many connections with Esperanza? Did you get some ideas for Esperanza from yourself?
From,
Jay
Dear Pam Munoz Ryan,
So far you are my favorite author of any book in any way, shape, or form. As the saying I say, “No one can beat the one and only Pam Munoz Ryan!” You are the most elite author I think. To be honest, I even convinced my friends to read your magnificent books. I might be just a fifth grader, but I know how to judge horrible books from exclusive books. There is a far difference. I have been reading two of your books. My favorite one is Esperanza Rising. Although the book was action, it was a sad book at the same time. I felt sorry for Esperanza when her father died and her mother got really sick. I have not finished the book but I am hoping that the rest of the book will be really awesome. Another book that I really enjoyed having read to me when I was younger was the book: When Marian Sang. What I liked about the book Esperanza Rising is that it was a riches to rags story. I am really getting bored about the rag to riches stories. There are two more books I am really eager to read and those two books are: Riding Freedom, and Amelia and Eleanor Go for a Ride. I would like to read Riding Freedom first because my friends say the book is really good.
On the book Esperanza Rising I liked how you used fabulous description. Like on page 129, it says,
“Men from the camp, in starched and pressed shirts.” There are a lot more pages with more description on them. When I first just saw the front cover of the book I thought that it would be a story kind of like a Cinderella story. I was proved wrong big time. Before it was my choice if I really wanted the book or not. I honestly picked no until I found out what author the book was by. For me when I am to grow up, I want to be a writer just like you! One of my favorite ways to write is actually not to write, but to type like I am doing right now. The reason why is because my hand writing is sloppy and it gets to frustrating for some reason. One of my questions was, what made you think about writing another good book? Thank you for writing such a good book!
Dear Pam Munoz Ryan,
I loved your book so much I barely stopped myself not going on in the book and reading the amount of pages I have to in Guided Reading! I loved how you wrote your book, how you made the book different from most books, instead of rags to riches, you made the book from riches to rags.
I had a few questions to your book. One of my questions was, do you ever talk and really plan on things that are a lot of time away? I had this question while I was reading Esperanza Rising because it says on page seven, paragraph one, "When they were all together, they talked about one thing: their Quinceaneras, the presentation parties they would have when they turned fifteen." It also says in part of another sentence, "They still had two more years to wait, but so much to discuss." So, their Quinceaneras were a lot of time away, but they still talked about it. My answer was, yes, I do plan and talk about things that are a long time away. The thing I talk about is my birthday. The things I plan and talk about my birthday is usually who is going to come to my birthday, when I will have my birthday party and what we are going to do, and what I want to get for my birthday. I usually have my birthday before or on my real birthday. On my birthday, I usually play outside, playing soccer, football, and basketball. I also play games like tag, and lava monster, which me and a few friends made up. On my birthday, I usually like to get video games, soccer or footballs. I usually invite my closest friends, but I have never invited a school friend to my party, because even if they are my best friends, it sort of feels awkward having school kids over. This is the special occasion I talk and discuss and plan about even though it is very far away. Do you have a special occasion that you plan about that is a lot of time away? (Continued)
How do feel for Esperansa - I mean do you think she is rude or kind? I think Esperansa is a little rude but towards the end of the book Esperansa gets nicer. On page 227, paragraph three it said, " She lifted the doll from the valise and handed it to Isabel. That doll was Esperansa's favortie doll because Esperansa got it from Esperansa's papa when he died.
Have you ever lived without hope? I got this question on page 222 and paragraph three because in the book is said, "You, obviously, can never live without hope." Those word stuck out in the text. I have always lived with hope. The reasons why is my mom and dad always says the same thing-you can always do what ever you set your mind to do.
I love your ending. Do you like your ending? What does the ending mean to you? On page 253, paragraph three I liked how you said, "Then she looked at Esperansa's trusting eyes and said, "Do not ever be afraid to start over." I think why Esperansa said this because she had to start her almost her whole life because of one little mistake.
Thank you for reading my questions and comments. I hope you will answer back to my questions and I never understood if Miguel and Esperansa love each other. Thank you again.
From,
Cheyenne
Dear Pam Munoz Ryan,
I have been enjoying this book for some time. I have been reading this book for about three weeks now. The journey is exciting but it seems when Esperansa feels peace and quiet and there is nothing going on something bad always happen. I have only read one book of yours and so far I have enjoyed it. I do indeed have questions and just have comments.
But my first question I have is do enjoy being a writer or is it just an another job to make money and if you do enjoy being a writer than did you enjoyed what books you write? See I know this for a fact that some authors use writing to help them become famous even actors, singers, and some people who play sports do this. Is Esperansa a little like your character or a lot or did you just came up with this character? The reason why I had this question is there are some kids and authors who write a character that is like them - or don't know. If you are like Esperansa then how?
If you were in Esperansa's place : where Esperansa's mother might die, Esperansa's papa is dead, and Esperansa is trying to get Abuelita in California what would you do or would you do what Esperansa is doing? I thought if I was in Esperansa's place I would have not let some nurses say that I can't go to my mother and I would have kept seeing my mother. I would have asked my mother if she had any money left to send Abuelita to California.
Dear Pam Munzoz Ryan,
I have read your book ''Esperanza Rising'' and I thought it was really good. You use creative words and detail and even leave the reader hanging.When I started reading your book I couldn't stop. I did the same thing with your other book ''Riding Freedom.'' I had some questions for you that I really want to figure them out. I thought about them I figured it would be better to ask you.
First, did you go through all that Esperanza did in the book and just added a little fantasy? I think that you maybe added a little fantasy. I think that you just might of invented the rising part but the whole story sounds like it could've really happen. Your book gives creative details that makes the story come to live and paint a picture in my mind.
Also why did you choose the name Esperanza? Did you choose it for a specific reason or just choose it randomly? I think you choose it on purpose. I think you choose cause in the book she was to have hope in many things. She has to have hope for her mom and herself and also all the otheer people she really loves.
I also wanted to tell you now that I have a chance is I think it is very interesting that you included Esperanza and her dad listened to the Earth's heart beat. I think that you are trying to say that Esperanza can't listen to the Earth's heart beat until she learns to be kind. Also its like if it was Esperanza own heart and she has to learn to be kind to be able to listen to it. I think that it was good for her to be able to listen to the earth's heart at the end of the book when she learns to be kind and be able too listen to her own heart.
Another thing I like about your book is that you leave your reader hanging like, when the house was burning or when papa died. I think that you are good at sucking a reader in your book. Also I think that you have a very creative image in your mind. I wanted to ask you a little favor, I know your very busy but if you have time could you check out our blog at ''eastdragonden.blogspot.com'' if you can please and thank you. I am wondering how long it took you to right your book? Did you get ideas right away or did it take you some time? I am wondering this because your book has details and words I didn't know and I had to look up on the enter net.
Another question of mine would be how did you feel when you where waiting to get published? I bet you felt nervous just like I feel right now when you might get me leader. I hope you get this letter and my question. If you have time to reply please do because I can receive 10 billion bonus points for you replying to me. My teacher Mr. Moore is a great teacher for showing us great books like yours. I enjoyed reading your book ''Esperanza Rising.'' It was a great richest to rads story!
Your reader,
Alexa
Post a Comment